Monday 10 December 2012

16.08.2012-17.08.2012 - Screws and Espresso machine

(Preparation of the cruise ANT-XXIX/3)



16.08.2012 (Thursday). In the cellar of the Department Invertebrate of our Institute, there was a carton box of Expresso machine. I naïvely believed that the Expresso machine was still within it and that I could bring it on board, as during the cruise of 2006-2007. To my disappointment, it proved to be full of old plastic plugs for specimen jars. We will have to drink the official coffee of the Polarstern! In the evening I go once more to different shops for buying small material. I got screws which I believe to be OK for fixing the photographic rail. At the end of the day I drink a good fresh can of Leffe beer and I look at my garden (after months of cold and rainy weather, the weather is finally sunny and warm).


Preparing the boxes in the corridor of the seventh floor of our research Institute.

17.08.2012 (Friday). Problems for finding adequate screws for the photographic board but in the end I find the good ones. The iron stem of the photographic board falls on my head. Bang! I construct the metal connection system for linking the lander to the ballast (3 x). This will allow us four trap operations (a connection with sisal ropes made by Henri Robert for a previous expedition is still available).

Self-constructed piece for connecting the ballast to the metal frame with the baited traps.
(Cédric)






No comments:

Post a Comment