Monday 10 December 2012


22.11.2012-11.12.2012 - The blog is online

(Preparation of the cruise ANT-XXIX/3)



22.11.2012 (Thursday). I receive the printed copy of the Expedition Program (the so-called blue booklet).



Cover of the expedition program (the so-called blue booklet)


24.11.2012 (Saturday). Conclusive test for my Sigma objective macro, but I realize that the shop sold me close up macro lenses of the wrong diameter (67 mm instead of 72 mm) and one lens is damaged.

25.11.2012 (Sunday). First tests of my GOPRO camera. Rather disappointing but it is only a first test. There are also problems for stabilizing the GOPRO on my head.. GOPRO is selling specific helmets but they are very expensive. In looking on internet, I see that cheap sport helmets can be used for that use instead.

26.11.2012 (Monday). I find and buy a new helmet to be used as stative for the GOPRO camera during field work. It is also more confortable than the helmets already put in our boxes.

27.11.2012 (Tuesday). It was possible to immediately exchange the 67 mm macro lenses by 72 mm lenses. They had them in stock! The guy of the shop was very worried by his mistake. I see at http://www.awi.de/en/infrastructure/ships/polarstern/where_is_polarstern/ that the Polarstern has just arrived in Cape Town (South Africa). There will indeed be another Polarstern cruise, starting from Cape Town and terminating in Punta Arenas (the cruise ANT-XXIX/2) just before 'our' cruise (ANT-XXIX/3).

05.12.2012 (Tuesday). Meeting with our IT department for starting the present blog. They suggest me to use Tumblr. I make a test but I am not at all satisfied.

07.12.2012 (Friday). I receive a message from the AWI claiming that they have not received my medical forms. I reply them that they told me the contrary two months earlier.

10.12.2012 (Monday). The AWI re-confirms me that everything is OK concerning my own medical forms. ...but Marie has not respected the dead lines of her medical forms, which are not yet sent. I have no idea how the people of the AWI will react. The blog is re-started, this time on blogspot, which is more flexible and more appropriate than Tumblr. 

11.12.2012 (Tuesday). I try to take contact with a hotel in Punta Arenas. I receive an automatic e-mail reply. I will have to wait before receiving a confirmation of my booking.


(Cédric)




No comments:

Post a Comment