Monday 10 December 2012


Here starts the narrative.....






23.11.2009-30.06.2012 - Here starts the narrative

(Preparation of the cruise ANT-XXIX/3)

23.11.2009 (Monday). I propose a research project for two persons to Julian Gutt (Alfred Wegener Institute, AWI) for the LASSO project of the cruise ANT-XXIX/3, which is planned for January-March 2013. Julian Gutt will be the scientific leader of the LASSO project.

At some time in 2010 (date lost), I am informed that the project is accepted but I got only one place on board.  

17.11.2011 (Thursday). Julian Gutt sent us the third circular for the cruise ANT-XXIX/3.

26.01.2012 (Thursday). Preparatory meeting of the cruise ANT-XXIX/3 at the Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI) in Bremerhaven (Germany). The plan of the mission and all its logistic aspects are presented by Julian Gutt. In the evening after this long day of discussion, most participants go eating in an old ship moored in the harbour of Bremerhaven and converted into a restaurant. When we are leaving the restaurant, we realize that it has snowed a little bit.

09.02.2012 (Friday). I send a request to the 'Fonds Léopold III' asking them to fund my flight ticket to Punta Arenas (Chile), where I will embark on the Polarstern.

22.02.2012 (Wednesday). Julian Gutt informs me about three administrative duties to fulfill for 30.04.2012: informing the AWI about the requested amount of ethanol to be provided by the AWI, informing the AWI about the place needed during the cruise in the cold room (-20°C) of the Polarstern, writing our research project for the expedition program or 'blue booklet'. A first draft of the project is written the same day, as it is a rather simple task.

29.02.2012 (Wednesday). An improved research project for the blue booklet is proposed and accepted by Julian Gutt.

01.03.2012 (Thursday). I send a letter to the Belgian Ministry of Environment, asking a permit for carrying out scientific research in Antarctica.

02.03.2012 (Friday). A lot of medical examinations are requested for such cruises, since we will go to the end of the world and somebody with severe health problems could be a real problem (this has already happened in the past). I am submitted to a blood analysis and I have a check up of my teeth by the dentist.

19.03.2012 (Monday). I am submitted to an effort electrocardiogram. The same day I have an ophthalmological examination by an oculist (despite I have excellent eyes).

26.03.2012 (Monday). I am submitted to a spirometry test.

28.03.2012 (Wednesday). I send to Julian Gutt a form with an estimation of the dangerous goods I will bring on board (absolute alcohol).

13.04.2012 (Friday). Julian Gutt send us the 4th circular for the cruise ANT-XXIX/3.

09.05.2012 (Wednesday). The final corrections of the research project for the blue booklet are accepted.

25.05.2012 (Friday). All medical reports are sent to the doctor of the AWI.

12.06.2012 (Thursday). I send to Julian Gutt the following forms: declaration of damage responsability (Haftungsfreistellungserklärung),  coordinates of my private health and travel assistance (Europ Assistance), certificate of Europe Assistance confirming that they cover Antarctica, form on personal information (Personalfragebogen für Expeditionsteilnehmer), attest from the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences confirming that their professional insurance covers me, certificate of the professional insurance (Ethias) of the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, Loading Certificate / Security information.

22.06.2012 (Friday). I receive a letter from the 'Fond Léopold III', informing me that they accept to fund my flight ticket.

25.06.2012 (Monday). I receive the permit of the Ministry of Environment for doing scientific research in Antarctica.

28.06.2012 (Thursday). The AWI provides me with information about the group flight of the AWI but I don't think I will choose this option.

29.06.2012 (Friday). My colleague Christoph Held (AWI) informs me that he could take care of the frozen fish to be brought on board for the baited traps. Julian Gutt sends us the 5th circular on the cruise ANT-XXIX/3. I take preliminary contacts with World Courier for the transport of the specimens back to Belgium, as they are considered as 'dangerous goods' (because alcohol is flammable). During former expeditions, the Polarstern returned in May to Bremerhaven, where we picked up our material. However, exceptionally, she will stay in the Southern Ocean after ANT-XXIX/3 for a winter cruise. The normal freight will be brought back to Europe by another ship, after a transfer in Cape Town (South Africa). However the frozen and 'dangerous' goods must be transported by our own means. World Courier confirms me that it is possible, but according their first raw estimation, this will be very expensive (around 1400 euros).

At some time in June 2012. During a scientific meetings in Athens, I buy a little statue of the Poseidon, as a fetish for the cruise.

(Cédric)






No comments:

Post a Comment