Friday 1 February 2013

24.01.2013 - Into the Drake Passage



24.01.2013 (Thursday). We wake up under a gray sky. Sea fairly wavy as yesterday. We are well into the Drake Passage. For breakfast, we get a warm dish consisting of pieces of chicken swimming in molten cheese. Excellent ballast for the stomach. No more seasickness. At 03:00, Olaf Ziemann calls me. He tells me that he sawed the lander in two parts. It was not easy to remove them from the hold. However the two parts have been re-soldered in their workshop. At first glance, Olaf  and his team did a great job. On the bridge, I observed that one of the front windows show cracks. One of the second officers (Igor Hering) explains me why: during the previous cruise, the Polarstern had to go deep into compact ice and the cracks result from the intense lateral pressure of the ice against the ship. Despite the cracks, he says that there is no risk that the window collapses. At the daily meeting of 19:30, Julian Gutt tells us that we will arrive at Joinville Island on 25.01.2013 and will sample on 26.01.2013 at about 100 m depth: Agassiz trawl (AGT) at 12:15, Rauschert dredge (RD) at 15:00.


The lander has been re-soldered in the workshop.

The Polarstern in the Drake Passage.

(Cédric)

The day goes quietly. We are still heading to our first station which will be at the North of Joinville Island, to the tip of the peninsula. Outside, the sky is cloudy, the air is very wet. We can clearly feel a change in temperature. I can’t stay outside for much more than 15-20 min anymore. I finish some work on the computer. In the evening, I go outside for some more sightseeing and to my surprise, see my first iceberg! I wasn’t expecting to see one so soon.


(Marie)

No comments:

Post a Comment